Well, it looks like things will be changing for Swiss Family Gibbons...
The good news is that we will be swelling our ranks in the winter with Gibbons Mk.II scheduled to arrive in "early December" (the Swiss are less specific than than UK baby-related medical professionals and don't give a specific due date). The bad news is that we may not be Swiss Family Gibbons for very much longer, after I had it confirmed that there is no money to extend contracts beyond the 2-year term that brought me here in the first place.
I'm looking around for other opportunities and possibilities in the monochromatic bear-branded organisation, and elsewhere in Geneva, but there are also lots of things now stacking up to making a return to Blighty seem like the best idea. From a professional point of view, it's been a fairly frustrating time out here in Switzerland, so maybe a change isn't such a bad thing, even if it is enforced.
Having family nearer than 3 hours (and a lot of money) away will certainly be appreciated when the "Gibbli" comes along, but on the other hand, leaving so soon means that The Bug won't have the chance to grow up bi-lingual, or even remember this beautiful country where she has spent the start of her life. And unless I get my act together in the last few months of being here, it looks like I will fail miserbaly in one of the goals I set myself when first moving here - to learn French. Alors, c'est la vie.
Of course, if we return to the UK, I will also have to find a job, and we will have to find somewhere to live - and at a time when the news is full of stories about funding cuts and how everyone is going to feel the pain of reducing the deficit. What a great time to come home!
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There's a distinct not-learning-French pattern going on here. Anyway, try to get the big bear to move you back this way. We don't speak French in these parts.
Post a Comment